If your body is really not curvy and your hips and shoulders are roughly the same sizes, it seems that you have a rectangle body shape.
Rectangles are also known as “straight” or ”banana” body figures. You could have a plus-size rectangle body figure or an athletic build, but rectangles all have hips and shoulders that would be about the same thickness apart.
Choosing the best women’s clothes for your specific body figure could help you feel far more confident both from inside and outside. So, if your body figure quiz gave you this outcome, it is time to look into the apparel as well as accessories that will help you look and feel way great.
Continue reading to learn about the properties of a rectangle body shape, how to dress up to feel your finest, and what to wear – such as tops, pants, jeans, dresses, and much more.
So, What Is Rectangle Body Shape?
The rectangle body shape is distinguished by equatable measurements at the hips, waist, and bust. Because of the complete absence of curves, the body appears to be a rectangle or a column.
What Are Major Characteristics Of A Rectangle Body Shape?
The rectangle body shape’s main features are as follows:
- Your body shape is well-balanced from top to bottom, which means your hip and shoulder measurements are comparable.
- Your body shape is “straight” all the way up and down and is not particularly curvy.
- You lack a defined waist.
- You might have an athletic body build, and your overall weight is equally distributed.
A straight body shape is worn by a number of famous women. Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Garner, and Rosario Dawson are some well-known celebrities with rectangle body figure. Check out their on-screen and off-screen style choices to get a concept of what might look good on you.
3 Style Suggestions for Rectangle Body Shapes
If you have either a straight or rectangle body figure, your bottom, and top are most probably well-proportioned. To choose attire for rectangle body types, choose items that best define your waist and create the impression of curves. Here are 3 basic rules for people with rectangle body shapes to bear in mind.
Determine Your Waistline
Defining your waist is the key to improving this lovely body shape. Our preferred simple tips for defining your waist include wearing an exciting belt, ignoring attire with drop waistlines and stomach area adornments, and trying out different cuts to generate curves.
Design Your Own Curves
Talking about generating curves, you could smartly use clothing to generate curves where you may not have them. Ignoring shapeless clothing in favor of well-structured clothing can help to create the impression of a curvier shape. Choose clothing with the volume on the bottom or top (but not both of them) and incorporate structured pieces to stay balanced.
Make Use Of Colors, Textures, and Prints, And Textures
Dark colors, for example, navy or black, are timeless but don’t be super scared to experiment with different colors, textures, and prints. When selecting clothes for rectangle body shapes, keep in mind that the eye is attracted to bright patterns and colors, so incorporate brighter hues and fascinating textures that add curiosity.
How To Dress for Rectangle Body Shapes?
Now that you have learned about the features of the rectangle body shape, it is a good time to determine what to wear for this type of body figure. Here are some buying tips to consider the next time you go shopping.
When it comes to rectangle body shape tops, they should emphasize the neckline because an open neck brings attention upwards to your face. Here are some wonderful blouses and tops to consider:
- V-neck Tops: No matter if it is deep or shallow, a V-neck top will draw attention to your shoulder blades.
- Sweetheart Tops: A top with a sweetheart neckline, which looks like the top of a heart, will absolutely help to create the effect of a bust and curves.
- Scoop-neck Tops: These are a simple, flattering way to attract attention upward to your face and lengthen your neck as well.
- Off-the-shoulder Tops: These are a simple way to add sophistication or fun touch to an attire while also creating the effect of curves.
- Boat Neck Tops: These types of tops, also known as bateau tops, move horizontally all across the shoulder blade and therefore can draw attention out to the shoulders, creating the effect of volume.
- Collars: Particularly those with details, add visual interest to your outfit and draw attention to your face.
The most significant consideration when buying jeans for a rectangle body shape is identifying your figure. The best jeans for a rectangle body figure would rely heavily on the top you have selected, but as a general rule, find jeans that add great curves to your cutout. You can apply this with jeans having back pockets and hip embellishments, which can help you appear chubbier in the right areas.
- High-waisted: These types of jeans can really help to lengthen your legs and generate a defined waist. Pick mid-rise jeans if your torso is short.
- Slim-fit jeans: These can underscore your slim legs while also creating the effect of curves far better than skinny jeans.
- Skinny jeans: These are a common pick for rectangle body shapes as they highlight your slim legs.
- Wide-leg jeans: These can give the appearance of a fuller butt and hips.
- Straight-leg jeans: These, just like slim-fit jeans, enhance your best characteristics while adding volume.
- Bootcut jeans: As you might know, flare jeans are perfect for improving interest and lengthening the legs. Just forgo flares that are extremely exaggerated.
When jeans just don’t cut it, you might want to have a few pairs of go-to pants in your closet. Here are a few choices to take into account if you’re looking for laid back pants or professional, business pants to dress up to work:
- Flared Pants: These, just like flared jeans, are a wonderful way to regulate a rectangle body figure, just forgo extremely distorted styles.
- Pleated Pants: No, we’re not talking about the pleated waistlines of the 1980s! Take into account pleated, flowy pants that give the appearance of a skirt while adding volume to the lower half of your figure.
- Straight Pants: A well-tailored pair of straight pants is a wardrobe essential.
- Printed Pants: Prints have always been a rectangle shape’s closest buddy, and they are a simple and effective way to add texture and detail.
Jumpsuits and Dresses
Here are several styles that will compliment your rectangle body figure, whether you just need a casual jumpsuit or want dressy clothes.
- Fit-and-flare: On the other hand, these types help call attention to the midsection while also giving the skirt a fuller appearance to stabilize your rectangle body shape.
- Empire: For a rectangle body figure, anything that gives the effect of a waist is appropriate.
- Wrap: This is a timeless style that flatters almost every body type.
- Ruched: A ruched garment is one that has gathers and pleats. Ruched designs draw great attention to a rectangle body figure.
- Shift: While rectangle body shapes should choose designs that add shape, ”norms” were made to be broken. Shift dresses generally have simple and clean lines and an elegant appearance, making them ideal for rectangles with relatively smaller hips and busts.
And you don’t need to limit yourself to dresses for rectangle body figures. Straight body types can look gorgeous in a wonderful jumpsuit if the points above are followed.
When it comes to skirts for rectangle body figures, balance is everything. Think about adding contrast with a brighter skirt if you really want to wear a simple, plain top.
- Flared: With a blast at the lower part of the skirt, flared skirts create the great effect of curves.
- Multi-layered: These are visually impressive and therefore can add volume to your bottom half whilst also elongating your waist.
- Pleated: This is another elegant skirt choice that emphasizes the top portion of the hips, creating the effect of curves.
- Detailed: To add interest, style a solid colored top with an interesting print.
- Straight: This emphasizes your body’s natural shape – just make sure to specify your waist.
Outerwear, as you might know, is just as important as bottoms and tops for building the perfect appearance for your rectangle body shape. Choose one of these choices the next time the temp decreases outside:
- Trench coats: These are a perfect fit for rectangle body figures for a classic style.
- Vests: Because they attract more attention to your arms and shoulders, vests are an outstanding pick for relaxed outerwear.
- Dusters: Because of their clean, sharp lines, pops of the color match well for rectangle body figures. To amp up your look, layer an open duster over the top with a bright and bold print.
- Belted jackets: These really help define your midsection and give the appearance of a curvier body shape.
- Double-breasted jackets: This outerwear adds a sophisticated look to any attire and hangs well from your pure cutout.
- Peplum jackets: These strike at the narrowest part of your abdomen, adding contours and generating an attractive shape.
Are you looking for the best swimsuit for a rectangle body shape? The following swimwear styles will absolutely help you look and feel way better next time you are at the pool:
- One-piece cutouts: One-piece swimwear with waistline cutouts create the effect of an hourglass shape by nibbling your midsection at its narrowest point.
- Form-fitting with cups: Find swimsuits with integrated cups that will help to highlight your pure curves.
- Triangular bikini tops: Prevent bikini tops with straight bandeau style, which could accentuate your body’s clean lines. Triangular bikini tops, on the other hand, can highlight your curves while also elongating your neck.
- High-cut bottoms: Because the purpose is to define your midsection and generate curves, choose high-cut bottoms that can give the effect of fuller hips and help to build a far more well-defined midsection.
- Prints: Textures, fun and bold prints, and any other details can add attraction. We suggest that you prevent horizontal stripes in favor of diagonal lines that can pictorially tie down your waist.
- Tankinis: These give additional coverage and could help draw attention to your midsection. Pick a tankini with a playful print and solid-colored bottoms to generate a curvier line of torso.
Footwear And Accessories
Accessories can make or break an attire, but selecting the right ones is both a science and art. Here are a few accessories to think about when putting together attire for your rectangle body shape:
- Round-toe sneakers: When choosing the form of dress shoes, such as heels, take into account round-toe shoes to prevent having an overly-rectangular appearance.
- Boots: Select pointed-toe boots to draw attention to your legs.
- Belts: These are the most effective way for rectangle body figures to generate the effect of a waist. Using a dark belt in either navy or black, you can create the effect of a smaller waistline.
- Shapewear: Whether you like it or not, shapewear could really help improve your overall appearance by defining your mid-section.
- Statement purse: Often, just trying to throw on jeans and a shirt is sufficient! Add a pop of color to a simple outfit with a statement purse.
- Statement earrings: These accessories can draw the eye upward, emphasizing your body shape. Instead of a statement necklace, you can go for a daring pair of statement earrings.
3 Simple Outfits for A Rectangle Body Shape
Let’s put everything we’ve learned into action. To start you off, here are some outfit ideas for rectangle body shapes.
For Daily Wear
Are you finding a nice look for daily? An intimate top and slim-fit or skinny jeans serve as an excellent base. To draw more attention while showing off your shoulders and neck, choose a top with a small print, puffed sleeves, and sweetheart neckline. Style the top with slim-fit jeans for a balanced look that shows off your skinny legs while still adding some volume. Wear a slim black belt to tie down your waist and pointed-toe boots to complete the look.
For A Special Occasion
Rectangle body shapes can wear a wide range of skirts, dresses, and jumpsuits to special events, but a fit-and-flare dress is our favorite. This dress with a shallow or deep V-neck calls attention up while elongating in the waist. Add a slender belt and opt for dresses with additional tulle on the bottom to accentuate your curves much more. Combine this appearance with block heels and statement earrings for an evening out, garden party, or wedding.
For The Workplace
Mix and match function and form while looking gorgeous. Rectangle body shapes can wear a simple scoop-neck top in a bright color, such as blue or red, with a pair of high-waisted, plaid print, slim leg pants. To complete the look, add a pair of booties and a belt.