Maxi dresses, which are flattering, ground-grazing, and flowy dresses, are very much in fashion and a staple in so many women’s wardrobes. As you might know, maxi dresses can be both stylish and really comfy for hot days. However, there are plenty of different styles and ways to dress up maxi dresses, and you might just be confused about which one to wear. By figuring out the correct style of maxi dress for your body shape and accessorizing it appropriately, you can look chic and feel comfortable while wearing a maxi dress.
Choosing The Best Maxi Style for Your Body
Understand your body type
As you might know, every female’s body is unique, and the fit of clothing could really improve your figure. Knowing which parts of your body you want to emphasize could even help you discover the most appealing maxi dress for your figure. Please remember that you might be petite if you are under 162 cm (or 5’4”) or plus size if you usually dress a size bigger than a US size 16. Investigate various styles to determine what you like and think will look good on you. Check out the following dress styles:
- A strapless column maxi dress will highlight your hourglass figure.
- Draw attention to your curves with a spaghetti-strap maxi that has a slight A-line or just starts to fall in a column.
- If you do have a large bust, consider a stylish capped-sleeve maxi dress.
- Enhance your athletic figure with a belted maxi that grazes your body or creates a long, skinny shape.
- Use waist-cinching and simple cutouts to hide bigger busts, open backs, diving necklines, and details such as ruching to accentuate your bust.
- Skin-bearing choices to lengthen smaller bodies and empire midsection or form-skimming textiles for chubbier bodies.
Think about print and color
Color and print, just like style, body shape, fabric, can significantly influence how you dress a maxi dress. To best dress up your maxi dress, pick the right fabric and color for your body type.
- If you are petite, wear solid colors and small, simple prints.
- If you are chubbier, consider bigger floral prints or bolder prints. Solid colors can also be used in this case.
- When deciding on what prints and colors to wear, keep your skin tone in mind. Request that your friends tell you which colors look best on you.
Determine the appropriate length
There are a variety of maxi dress lengths available, ranging from foot skimming to ground skimming. Choosing the proper length can prevent you from tripping or becoming entangled in your maxi dress.
- Aim for the dress to reach the tops of your toes
- Ensure that the dress reaches your ankles
- Put the dress through its paces. You can try walking around in it for a few minutes to ensure that it doesn’t trip you as well as you don’t step on it.
Shop your wardrobe
Before you go out and buy some new maxi dresses, take a look in your wardrobe to see if you have any maxi dresses that may just work or even ones you have not really worn in a while. This will allow you to save money and avoid purchasing styles that you already have.
Next, start making a list of the pieces you will need and want to put together the appearance you really want. Include items that could be paired with a variety of other pieces to change up your style without spending a fortune. For instance, you could wear a strapless cotton maxi dress in a solid color. Think about adding other pieces to your collection, such as a maxi dress with sleeves or a printed maxi dress.
Purchase your maxi dresses
When you go out shopping, take your focus peeled for maxi dresses. You might want to keep a list of the dresses you already own with you so that you do not really buy similar looks.
Be fully conscious that you could really find maxi dresses in almost any store, from exclusive shops to bigger or even smaller stores.
Avoid spending a fortune. Purchase a couple of flexible maxi dresses that you could really wear for a variety of events. A simple black maxi dress, for instance, can really be worn for both formal and casual occasions.
Try to purchase the best quality maxi dresses you can afford. This could really help to make sure that they will last a lot longer. Choose materials like silk and organic cotton that would last for a long period and are also easy to wash or dry clean.
How to Wear Your Maxi Dress?
Look into possible outfits
In fact, maxi dresses could really be stylish and classy or fashionable and elegant. Investigate various appearances to find maxi outfits for just any style of dress and for a variety of events.
- Take a look at the accessories and hairstyles that go well with maxi dresses.
- Look up images of maxi dresses online to get ideas for outfits. Look for ideas on social media sites such as Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Look through glossy magazines or trade magazines for styling ideas for dressing up your maxi dress.
- In your maxi dress, for instance, you may also want to look bohemian or just like a slender Greek goddess.
- Keep photos of outfits you like to motivate your outfit options.
Emphasize one aspect of your maxi outfit
Concentrate on only one item of your maxi outfit based on the style, print, and color of your maxi dress, as well as the appearance you want to achieve. The rest of your outfit should be kept simple. This can keep your maxi dress, jewelry, and other accessories from being too much for you.
If your maxi dress has floral prints or a bold print, make it the focal point. You might also want to put the spotlight on the maxi dress if it is extremely flattering, flowy, and has a lot of fabric.
If your maxi dress has a simple print or comes in a solid color, accessorize with jewelry or sneakers. You could also add a complex hairstyle, such as braids, for extra oomph.
Complement your maxi dress with other clothing
You can put together an outfit by layering different items on top of your dress. Keep in mind that you really want to put the spotlight on your maxi dress or an accessory, so take into account finishing the outfit with simple items.
When adding pieces to your maxi dress, keep the weather in mind. In the spring and summer, for instance, you may want to layer a denim jacket or a light cardigan. In the cold season, you might wrap a scarf around your neck or layer a long cardigan to draw attention to your dress.
Complement your clothing. A denim jacket, for instance, will go with almost everything. You could also pair a simple cardigan with a printed maxi dress.
Wear a simple and elegant blazer with your maxi dress. A well-fitted black blazer, for instance, will indeed look great with a maxi dress with floral prints.
Put on simple sneakers
Keep your sneakers simple since maxi dresses are typically flowy and long, and you might be going for a more casual look.
- A pair of simple strappy sandals in a neutral tone works best in most instances.
- Suppose you want to go for a more laid-back look, slip-on flats, or flip flops. Wedge espadrilles will also look beautiful with a maxi dress in so many situations. A pair of gladiator sandals look great with maxi dresses as well.
- If your maxi dress is a more formal dress or for a fancy party or formal occasion, try to pair it with strappy or open-toe pumps.
- When wearing maxi dresses, avoid wearing boots and closed-toe flats.
Consider adding some accessories
Adding some accessories to your maxi dress could really add a touch of polish or panache to your ensemble. To finish your look, wear a belt, jewelry, or carry a statement handbag.
- Match your jewelry to your overall outfit and desired look. For instance, if you want to look more bohemian, wear sophisticated hoops in your ears and layer bracelets on your arms.
- Make a statement necklace the focal point of your attire by wearing it with a simple, plain maxi dress.
- To make the dress balanced overall, carry a bigger bag. Combine solid colors with printed maxi dresses or solid maxi dresses with printed bags.
- Use a belt to cinch the midriff of your maxi dress to create beautiful curves or to decrease the flowing texture of your maxi dress.
Creating Unique Looks with Your Maxi Dress
Use a professional maxi dress
You might really be able to wear a maxi dress based on the pomp and circumstance of your profession or office. Combine the dress with suitable tops and accessories for a meeting or the workplace.
- Complement the print to the decor of your workplace. In an art show, for instance, you might be able to walk away with a vividly colored print, while a legal firm would require something a little more toned down.
- Add proper items to the layer. Blazers and cardigans could really help to make a maxi dress look more office suitable. Make absolutely sure your layering items have the same proportions as your maxi dress. Also, avoid strapless gowns, which are unsuitable for most workplaces.
- Dress appropriately for the workplace. If you don’t even have any that complement your maxi dress, try something else.
- Dressing up your maxi dress with accessories like a statement belt or diamond studs.
Dress up for formal occasions
If you are going to attend an anniversary party, engagement party, wedding, or any other type of formal occasion, you might also want to dress up your maxi dress for both elegance and comfort. On formal occasions, the right fabric, cut, and accessories could really help you look stylish and appropriate.
- Dress a more structured fabric such as satin, silk, or chiffon.
- Embroidered detailing on the fabric could also add a touch of elegance.
- Ensure that the cut doesn’t expose too much of your skin.
- Put on a pair of simple shoes or strappy heeled sandals that complement your maxi dress. However, avoid slipping on flip flops or flats.
- Accessorize with jewelry and a small handbag that complements the theme of your maxi dress.
Go for a bohemian look
Talitha Getty’s photograph in Marrakesh set the standard for the millions of ladies who dress in bohemian or boho styles. With the proper accessories as well as prints, you could really turn a maxi dress into a boho look. Here are the suggestions.
- Choose a maxi dress with paisley, tie-dye, or floral print.
- Wear your maxi dress with beaded or suede mini boots or a pair of gladiator sandals.
- Accessorize with beads, sequins, or pom poms to complete your look.
- Wrap a turban around your head.
- Think about flower braids or crowns for your hair as well.
- Add a slew of accessories, such as necklaces and bracelets.
Enjoy a first date, a casual hangout, or a day at the beach
A maxi dress might be a comfy way to enjoy a day at the seaside or just hang out, or maybe even go out with friends or a guy for a nice dinner. Maintain a simple overall appearance and just let your light shine through. Here’s how to dress your maxi dress for such occasions.
- Pick higher-quality textiles, such as jersey cotton that are comfy and hold their shape during the day.
- Accessories should also be kept simple and to a minimal level. Wear a gorgeous pair of earrings, a long and elegant necklace, and a couple of rings that complement the color or print of your maxi dress, for instance.
- Makeup should also be kept to a minimum, and your hair should be left to flow naturally. For instance, just a slick of mascara could really make you look shiny.
- Put on a pair of shoes that are both simple and comfy, like leather thongs.